Friday, July 29, 2011

Well, that only took forever.

Finally! I'm getting back into the groove of scrapbooking again. I've been making so many cards over the last few months that I think I've only made one, maybe two pages for my own scrapbooks. In fact, the current page isn't even for a scrapbook; it's a shadowbox to hang on my bedroom wall.

I've been redecorating my house for a while now. I'm moving the efforts into my bedroom. I got my old furniture back from my mom's house. It's all white and all beat to heck and back, since it's been used by three girls/women and one guy since it was originally purchased in the late 1960's. I was going to replace the knobs, sand the furniture, and repaint it. However, I kind of like the beat up look it has. I might just leave it. I supplemented those two pieces with a headboard I bought online and an old elementary school desk that I found at an antique shop for $50. The desk became my nightstand.

Now that my furniture is set up, I've moved my efforts to the walls. They're already painted sage green, which I love. I found some artwork while vacationing in Florida. Check it out:
The walls look more olive in this pic, but they're actually sage. The artwork is from a talented guy named Alan Foxx. You can find more of his work here. The pictures have some green in them and actually look great on the walls. They pop just the right amount. Please look at his link, because this picture really sucks!

I bought one of his angels to go on an opposing wall, and made a shadowbox to hang with it. Here's the shadowbox layout. It only took me forever:

And here's how it looks actually inside the shadowbox frame, with a little Willow Tree figurine added:

The picture is one of me and Rick taken a year or two before he passed away. The tag says: "Memories are the most beautiful pictures our minds can paint, and nothing can ever erase them." The lace and doily are from my recent trip to Germany. The figurine and couple ornament are Willow Tree. Paper is Graphic 45 Le Romantique collection. I distressed the edges, then added white crackle paint. Flowers and butterflies are prima. I think that about covers it! Now I just need to get this sucker up on the wall. Maybe this weekend, or maybe not. I've got so much other crap to do! It'll get there eventually!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful LO. I love that sentiment on the tag. What a wonderful way to keep him memory alive....

Kim Kelley said...

WOW Gina that is beautiful! Looks great with the sage of your wall color! Those pictures are so different looking. The furniture sounds cool Kinda the shabby chic look! HUGS

Brenda said...

Gina, your layout is simply stunning. It is so gorgeous I can't tell you!! It is so inspiring. I love the willow tree pieces on and in it. The tag is beautiful.
Hugs~Bren

Trina said...

Gina, your shadow box is absolutely beautiful! Love the figurine in the corner!

Star said...

Sweetie, that shadowbox is amazing!! I love just everything about it...especially the lovely photo, the cameo and the fabulous sentiment on the tag. I really like the artwork you found for your walls, too. Very interesting.

As to your comment on my blog, I'm very low on printer ink and don't know when I'll be able to buy more, so I'm really hoping for a black and white drawing that I could color. (If I print on my computer, it'll turn out purple.) Thanks for the thought, though!

Sara I. said...

I don't know how I missed all this - blogger must be messin' with me again!! Your shadowbox is beyond stunning - so beautiful in every way. I absolutely adore Graphic 45 and such an amazing choice for this - love the cameo and doily - the lace is gorjuss! I love how happy you both look in the picture - such a great shot!!Girl this is definately a work of art and you totally outdid yourself!!! Bravo!

Michelle said...

Oh Gina, your LO is beyond gorgeous!!! Just beautiful work!!! Everything you chose is just perfect for that photo.. as is the sentiment!!! May I borrow your sentiment? My BIL passed away in a snowmobile accident 5.5 years ago, and my FIL has hospice coming in to take care of him.. lung cancer. He is not doing well at all. I would love to put this on a page with photos of them for my DH.

Izzy Anderson said...

Gina, this is just heartbreakingly beautiful. You can just feel the love that went in to this. Wonderful, wonderful work. You should be proud. It's meant to be displayed and prominently too. I love it.

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful creation. I have been thinking of you lately as I wasn't sure when Rick passed but knew we were coming up to the time. My thoughts and prayers are often with you Gina.

Tammy