Saturday, June 4, 2011

Man, I suck at masculine cards

I have the hardest time with masculine cards. If you are a follower of my blog or have seen my gallery at sb.com, you know I'm more into the frilly, feminine stuff. Flowers, lace, pastels/soft colors, etc. I also have a difficult time with the clean and simple style. The word "simple" refers to the lack of embellishment and layering way more than the difficulty level, in my opinion. I find those CAS cards extremely difficult to do. I just want to throw more and more embellishments at them.

Today, I had a bit of free time before picking up my mom to head out to an auction to support the JDRF. I decided that I should try a CAS card with a more masculine theme. Um, yeah. This sucker drove me nuts. I think it turned out okay, though. Judge for yourself:
The cute little image and the sentiment are from the Greeting Farm. I had a rough time with his bright red hair. I used my trusty copics to color the image.  The buttons and star are from my stash. The olive green paper is Bazzill. There's a black mat before you get to the patterned paper, but it didn't show up well here. The pp is Tim Holtz. I went around the edges of the image repeatedly with my double edge cutterbee piercing tool. In real life, it shows up pretty well. I roughed up the edge of the white paper with my distressing tool and added some cats eye chalk ink in creamy brown. Then I doodled some stars and a few little circles, put it all together, and ta-da!
Now I'm off to hopefully win some good stuff at this auction. I've never been to a quarter auction and have no clue what that even means, so wish me luck! If you're there, you can identify me as the short, chubby one, looking around like I have no clue what in the heck is going on!!! LOL

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. This card is for the Simon Says Stamp challenge to make a masculine card. I'm glad to see I could find a challenge for it, too!

Edited to add: this card is also for the CES Clean and Simple challenge. Thanks to Vicky for telling me about it!

11 comments:

Trina said...

I see no evidence of suckdom here! I think this card looks great! I especially like how clean it looks and how wonderfully you've colored this little guy.

Unknown said...

Well, I think it's cute! There's always something adorable and endearing with the images you choose.

Lorraine A said...

Fabulous card Gina :-) I love the image ,, he is very cute and the simple design is perfect :-)
It is good to challenge ourselves to do something we don't feel confident in doing ,, then the next time it's less scarey :-) xx

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Kim Kelley said...

I hear you Gina...I have a hard time too! LOL But your's turned out wonderful!

Vicky said...

This is fabulous hun I so love this image he always reminds me of Edward off Twilight lol. CES Challenges also has their challenge which is CAS hun you could enter it there as well.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Jane said...

This is fabulous! love the CAS look! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp's Challenge, hugs, Jane x

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Great card perfectly C&S! Love the image he is fab!

Thank you for joining us at CES Challenges, good luck!
hugs shell xx

Sue said...

This is a really cute image and you have coloured it really well. I like it a lot. Sue x

Unknown said...

I totally love this card hunni.. Thanks for playing along in our C&S challenge at CES this week x

Brenda said...

I think your CAS card came out fabulous!!! These are hard and chica you rocked it!!
hugs, Bren

Sheena said...

Wow - a stunning card! Thanks for joining us at CES this week, Sheena xx