Sunday, October 7, 2012

Cancer Sucks

Yet another person I know has been afflicted with "the Big C" (that's what my dad called it, after being diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer). I have known Lina, affectionately called "Ma", since I was in elementary school and she was the "lunch lady" in the cafeteria. I later met her daughter Michele and her husband, Fudd. Ok, so his given name is Edward, but his nickname is a story for a different day. As Ma told me today, I've been part of their family since day 1. Well, she was diagnosed with bladder cancer back in the spring. After several months of chemo, the cancer finally shrank enough to allow removal of her bladder and some other organs. I tried to get more info, but she's a bit doped up and loopy right now, so all she'd say was, "they took it all!" She was transferred to a regular hospital bed after a few days in the CCU and is starting to get really antsy now. She can't see well enough to read, and can't stay awake long enough to listen to books on tape, but when she is awake, she's itching to go home. Now that she's no longer in the CCU, she can receive cards and the like. After visiting her at the hospital tonight, I came home and made this card for her:
The papers are from my scrap pile. I think they were K&Co. I made the lollipop flower out of some fabric I had sitting around (some of which was a gift from my friend Sara's mother-in-law). The scallops were cut with a Stampin Up border punch. The leaves are Prima, and the stick pins are from JoAnn's dollar spot (flower) and Walmart (pearl). I snagged the little blue button brad from the freebie table at a crop. I guess that about covers it! Please help me pray for Ma and a full recovery. She's one of those people who loves to take care of everyone else, but it's our turn to take care of her this time. She's going to kick and scream the whole time, I'm sure!

4 comments:

Kim Kelley said...

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and for a speedy recovery for Ma! HUGS

Carla S. said...

Beautiful card, for Ma, Gina! I will add my prayers to yours that she have a speedy and complete recovery.

Tracy S said...

I am sorry to hear this Gina. I will be praying for her. Bless her heart. :( I hope they got all that stupid cancer.. Man Cancer sucks!!! Beautiful card. that flower is awesome.

Sara I. said...

I'm so sorry for Ma. I will definitely keep her and her family in my prayers. You've done a gorgeous job her card - I absolutely love the design and that gorgeous flower you created with your fabric scraps - so creative and brilliant. I'm sure it will bring a smile to Ma's face and some comfort to her soul.
~hugs