Sunday, October 14, 2012

Slowly but surely making my way to Christmas

I'm trying to get more cards made this year. Last year, I pretty much only sent homemade cards to those who might come hunt me down and kill me if they didn't get them (yes, grandma, I'm talking about you. Well, you and a few others!). This year, I'd like to send them to quite a few more people. I guess maybe it's lucky that I don't know a lot of people who might want to kill me?!?

Anyway, this is one of the images that I colored at the crop over a week ago. This is another Sweet Pea stamps image, this time illustrated by Ching Chou Kiuk. Her stamps are actually the first ones that I bought from Sweet Pea Stamps a few years ago. I love her images. They are so full of mysticism and ethereal beauty. I love to color them, even though it seems to take me forever to color all of the tiny details.

On this card, I used a few techniques I've learned this year. On her wings, I did the feathering technique that I learned from Suzanne Dean's class back in the spring. Then I used a background technique with Goosebumps spray that I just learned today. This Goosebumps stuff is pretty darned cool. It leaves a really cool texture (you can see it behind the red rhinestones; it's that light green, marbly look paper). It's really fun to layer with different ink colors, although this time I kept it simple and just left one color. The image is colored with the following copics:

Poinsettias: R39, 35, yellow stickles
Wings: YG45, YG11, R85, RV11
Top: Y15, Y13, Y11
Skin: E11, E00, E000, R20 (cheeks), white sharpie for highlight on cheeks
Hair: E49, E59, E53, E25
Shadows: W5, W3, W1, W0, blender

If you'd like to learn some cool, fun techniques, too, check out the Technique Junkie newsletter. I got a few back copies today and they're awesome and informative. I signed up for a subscription. Who doesn't want fun mail instead of all of those bills, political flyers, and store ads?!?

If you want to see some more examples of the fabulous Sweet Pea stamps, check out the store blog.

I'd like to enter this card in the following challenges:
2 Sisters - anything goes (Oct 19)
Crafty Mess - anything goes (October 18)
Crafts and Me - anything goes (October 16)
Divas by Design - anything goes (October 16)

7 comments:

Roxann said...

This is a real stunner, Gina! I love all of your techniques you used and I love your design! Woo, hoo!

Ciao,
Roxann

Kim Kelley said...

Gorgeous Gina! I love the colors you chose! And your coloring is, well gorgeous! HUGS

Print gift cards said...

What a great card. So cool design. I like the softness of colors and that image is so beautiful. I appreciate your work.

Sandra Wright. said...

Wow,stunning card,love the image and the corner embellishment.

Thank you for joining in with our challenge over at Craftymess.

Sandie :)

Anonymous said...

stunning card thanks for joining us at 2sisters challenge this week good luck x

Sara I. said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!! Stunning gf! Love the marbly effect you got with those sprays and all the metal accents! Her wings are absolutely gorgeous and love the poinsettia you created for her. Amazing!

Trina said...

You coloring looks so good! Did you see that Sweet Pea is doing digis now? I'm excited b/c I don't like the price of stamps! ;D As far as your witches go, I'm thinking apologies. You know - sorry for being a little witch/know I was a bit witchy type things...